About the Club
Welcome to the home of the Fairbanks Area Hiking Club! We are a group of Interior Alaska residents who enjoy visiting all the nooks and crannies of Alaska under our own power. We explore on foot, by boot, ski, and snowshoe (and sometimes by bike, canoe, and kayak) the many beautiful areas of the state of Alaska. Our trips take us to Denali National Park, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR), the White Mountains, along the Chena and Tanana Rivers, and many of the places that visitors spend a lifetime dreaming about, all under the midnight sun and the aurora borealis.
Whether you’re an Alaskan or are planning a visit, check out the Calendar page for upcoming trips. It usually starts filling up around early spring, with a few trips every week during the late spring to early fall season, although in recent years we’ve had more and more winter trips as well. And be sure to check out the club Information below for contact information and how to join our mailing list.
We welcome anyone and everyone, as long as you are friendly and adventurous, to join us at our meetings, hikes, and other social events.
The Fairbanks Area Hiking Club’s mission is to provide a network for hikers to share knowledge and foster enthusiasm for the outdoors.
FAHC was started during the summer of 1999 by a small group of dedicated walkers who wanted to enjoy spending time together in the incredible wilderness of Alaska. It quickly grew into the premier trekking organization….
FAHC was created for a number of reasons:
- find others to hike with
- create forum for people in the area to meet others with similar interests
- gain more information on accessible trails in the area
- government agencies are not catering to all of hiker’s needs
- contribute to area trail maintenance
- create new trails
- share information through clinics
- learn history of trails in the area
- find descriptions of trails including level of difficulty
- create resources that will help make the most of every opportunity to hike
- use the group as a political force
So, FAHC brings together a group of people with common goals:
- Communicate and share information though a newsletter distributed every other month
- Make a comprehensive list of what each of us know regarding trail locations, descriptions, and conditions
- Create a web page to share the FAHC’s information with hikers internationally
- Prioritize and follow through on trail maintenance activities
- Plan day, overnight, and extended trips of various difficulty months in advance for members to work into personal schedules
- Expand the membership’s knowledge base though clinics and slide shows
Come join us! Join a hike (you’ll find them on the calendar page).
FAHC maintains a mailing list for discussions, notices of meetings and trips, etc., courtesy of Yahoo. Check out the FAHC Yahoo information page to join, change your settings, or leave the list. Or, if you don’t have or don’t want a Yahoo! account, send an email to email@example.com and click the link in the confirmation email you receive. Either way, a Yahoo! account is not required to be on the mailing list!